We are seeking Special Education Coordinator candidates committed to ReNEW’s mission. A ReNEW Special Education Coordinator guides the organization’s academic program by providing leaders and teachers with resources leading to a complete, rigorous comprehensive curriculum. The position is part of the school-based and special education team and reports to school leader and Director of Special Education.
WHO WE ARE
Choice is Freedom! At ReNEW, we ensure that students are academically and emotionally prepared to access the full range of life choices that are the fundamental right of every child in the city.
Core Values of Special Education at ReNEW Schools
- We accept and support all students
- We provide a continuum of support to meet the needs of each individual student
- We value complete compliance and excellent communication
- We act as a resource to our colleagues and promote a prevailing sense of positivity and possibility
- We prioritize quality, data-driven support to achieve meaningful student gains in every area of development: academic, behavioral, self-help, self-efficacy, vocational
WHAT YOU'LL DO
A ReNEW Special Education Coordinator guides the organization’s academic program by providing leaders and teachers with resources leading to a complete, rigorous comprehensive curriculum. The position is part of the school-based and special education team and reports to school leader and Director of Special Education.
At ReNEW Schools, we expect our Special Education Coordinator to:
- Drives processes and procedures to ensure compliance with mandated timelines, notifications, and all required data entry into SER and serves as liaison to State officials.
- Provides technical assistance for special and general education teachers on special education laws, case management functions, and complex case analysis and follow-up actions.
- Maintains compliance special education files and tracks and retrieves all relevant evaluations, documents and meeting notes for newly enrolled students.
- Schedules, coordinates and collects comprehensive data from multiple sources, and convenes Student Evaluation Planning, Multidisciplinary Team, IEP, Intake, and MDR meetings in collaboration with teachers/case managers and clinical providers.
- Collaborates with Special Education Teacher Case Managers and discipline and attendance administrators to track incidents, suspensions and truancy patterns to ensure equity between special education and general education consequences and convene the IEP team.
- Enhances both individual student programs and overall special education service delivery, drives improved academic and behavioral outcomes through collaboration with curriculum and data staff and Special Education Teacher Case Managers to oversee benchmark and PLOPs testing and develop and monitor a comprehensive special education-specific data tracking system.
- Stays abreast of best practices, have familiarity with and can consult to Special Education Teacher Case Manager on the special education library of resources, and support Special Education Teacher Case Managers in providing progressive specialized instruction.
- Maintains positive communications with parents and outside agency representatives and improves meeting participation.
- Propels inclusive best practices through partnership with small school leadership teams.
- Consults with SBLC team to provide technical assistance on special education law and complex cases.
WHAT YOU BRING
In addition to the expectations listed above, you will bring the following to our schools and students:
- Strategic Thinking & Vision – Sees and communicates the big picture in an inspiring way to students and colleagues. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current student performance trends.
- Organization & Planning – Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Persuasion -- Convinces others to pursue a course of action.
- Analytical Skills – Structures and process qualitative or quantitative student performance data and draws insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Efficiency – Produces significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Attention to Detail – Insures that important details do not slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Creativity/Innovation – Generates new and innovative approaches to problems, including instructional design and delivery.
- Teamwork – Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Persistence – Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Listening Skills – Lets others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints.
- Experience – Experience effectively leading, managing, and coaching adults. History of success working with and propelling success with students with exceptionalities required. Documented and data-rich past of improving academic and behavioral performance of students with exceptionalities with low socioeconomic status preferred. Ability to analyze and prioritize data, provide feedback to staff, advocate for all students with exceptionalities, internalize and set vision of least dangerous assumption required.
- Education – Certification in Special Education required, Bachelor´s degree required, Master´s degree preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At ReNEW, we believe our people are the key to our students’ success. We support our staff with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a comprehensive benefits plan that covers the majority of the employee premium for the two medical plans offered. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, generous vacation time, professional development, and a 401k plan with 4% employer matching. For employees of Dolores T. Aaron Elementary, we offer the Teachers’ Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL) benefit instead of 401k.