A ReNEW PK-2 Instructional Coach & Curriculum Specialist (IC/CS) provides instructional resources, coaching, and professional development to PK-2 teachers. Each IC/CS oversees the planning and support for one grade level, across ReNEW’s network of five elementary (PK-8) schools and two early childhood centers. This role supports ReNEW’s mission of providing a rigorous, college preparatory education for historically underserved preschool through 12th grade students.
WHO WE ARE
Choice is Freedom! At ReNEW, we ensure that students are academically and emotionally prepared to access the full range of life choices that are the fundamental right of every child in the city. ReNEW is dedicated to helping teachers become outstanding at their craft. With a high focus on professional development and individual coaching at both the school-level and the network-level, we are committed to helping you become the best teacher you can be. Access to high-quality opportunities for children in preschool (infant - age 4) and lower elementary (Kindergarten - 2nd grade) is a critical component of our turnaround strategy.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
At ReNEW, we believe that in order for schools to be effective, teachers must have access to high-quality, specialized resources, training, and coaching. The IC/CS provides curriculum, coaching, and professional development for a cohort of teachers.
The IC/CS is part of the Network’s Instructional Team and reports to the Executive Director of Early Childhood Programs. Job roles and responsibilities include the following:
Curriculum & Assessments for Specified Grade Level
- Create the year-long SAS in ELA, Math, and Nonfiction (Sci/SS)
- Revise current benchmarks, MLQs, and Exit Tickets (includes EADMS, when applicable)
- Write unit plans and oversee lead planning process (logistics of lead planners tbd)
Cohort Lead (Preschool, PK, K, 1, 2)
- Analyze and debrief assessment data after all benchmarks and MLQs
- Plan and facilitate professional development for all cohort meetings
- Coordinate collaboration across school teams
Intensive Coaching for 2-4 Teachers per Cycle
- Identify strengths and problem areas for assigned teachers
- Set teacher effectiveness goals and implement a clear progress monitoring plan
- Observe and debrief with each teacher twice per week
- Support teachers’ planning processes for intensive coaching areas
Broad-Level Coaching Across the Grade Level
- Determine monthly priority areas with the PK-2 content team
- Conduct pop-in observations and send notes via email to teacher and leader
- Plan professional learning and resource development based on observations
- Facilitate school-site PD and/or grade level team meetings, based on focus areas
FLSA Status: Exempt
WHAT YOU BRING
In addition to the expectations listed above, you will bring the following to our schools and students:
3+ years of successful teaching experience, with demonstrated student achievement.
Experience facilitating large-group professional development (15+ participants).
Experience with assessment creation, unit planning, and lesson planning.
Master's degree in education-related field preferred.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of STEP, MAP, balanced literacy (including guided reading), the reading and writing workshop model, and data to show effectiveness as a classroom teacher.
WHAT WE OFFER
At ReNEW, we believe our people are the key to our students’ success. We support our staff with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a comprehensive benefits plan that covers the majority of the employee premium for the two medical plans offered. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, generous vacation time, professional development, and a 401k plan with 4% employer matching. For employees of Dolores T. Aaron Elementary, we offer the Teachers’ Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL) benefit instead of 401k.